Thursday, January 15, 2009

Logistics

Did I already say London is expensive? Four pounds for a load of laundry in the laundrette around the corner. I'm going to have to do some bargin hunting! I guess I've been so used to $1/load at fuller, free in Austin and Elizabeth Street and Barclay way. Especially Barclay Way where we didn't even pay for water. I guess though that this machine holds a lot more laundry than they did. I guess the bonus is that I can tap into the Alexandar Flemming WiFi from here so while I'm doing landry I can be blogging...as I am now...or working on homework. Ooo spin cycle.

I had my registration appointment yesterday and discussed my classes with Veronic Speicer, the study abroad coordinator for Westminster. I didn't have to make any changes because I got the four classes that I wanted. Three out of the four are the London specific courses developed for study abraod, which means unfortunately that I probably won't get to mix with many British students in my program. My one regret (well I regret four pounds for laundry too). I would have liked to have taken classes with British kids. There are probably just going to be a lot of Americans in my classes. "The Rise of the Novel" though is a level five and there should be some British kids in that one.

I just picked courses that I found very interesting, very hands on so to speak. I mean how could one resist taking "London Theater in Performance" when the course description explains that you'll get to go and see performances as part of the course, or "Art and Society" in which you'll go to the various museums, galleries and special exhibits in London as part of the course rather than sitting in a darkened room looking at slides of famous art work. I guess I'll have to figure out other ways to meet other British students. At the gym perhaps, or the student union. There are a lot of activities and clubs to join and all that. The tube isn't a good place to chat with people, no one ever talks.

I'm enjoying the city so far. Our orientation group was fun, I've been shopping on Oxford St, and found my way around pretty well. I wasn't planning on shopping right away, rather I want to travel, but the 70% off signs and the new reduction of the VAT are too hard to resist! I got a $100 seater for $20 yesterday. But that's all really, the other girls I'm with are on a tighter budget and I didn't want to make them feel bad. Now that I know laundry is so expensive I won't be headed back to Oxford St anytime soon! Peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches are a good way so save money though I'll have to give up the diet coke habit. 1.65lb for a two liter and their equivalent of a 20 oz is 500ml, very small, and it's usually about a pound, that's like $1.50 for so much less. Looks like skiing might be to pricy for Febrary, especially because most of my friends so far are here on student loans. We have three whole weeks off for spring break though so I'll have to plan something fun!

I'm looking forward to meeting more of my classmates tonight. There is an event at Intermission, the club/pub/place/thing run by the Student Union. It's all for international students tonight, but there will surely be other events there throughout the semester where I can meet people.

No comments: