Monday, January 12, 2009

Settling In

So I found out why the bathroom is so dirty. They have housekeepers that come in and clean and they've probably been out for the holiday, or it was at the end of a cycle. I came back from poking around my new neighborhood and there she was, cleaning the bathroom, and it was, well not sparkling but at least didn't smell like mold anymore when she left. I am really starting to get comfortable here.

I had a nice chat with my flat mates last night and we've made plans for some clubbing later in the week. I've also made plans with Mable and her flatmates to check out a club in Leicester Square tonight, AND go to the mall. I didn't bring very many sweaters because they were too bulky and now I'm a bit cold. My room is toasty though! I slept well last night because I used the sketchy duvet that came in our pack as a mattress pad and used my big yellow towel as a blanket. It worked well, so I'm not going to get a mattress pad, just a nice soft blanket and I'll keep using the duvet as I did last night.

This morning I got up to get ready and the fire alarm went off! At least it was after I was showered and dressed. Imagine if it had been ten minutes earlier and I'd been in the shower! I had planned to get up earlier but I snoozed my alarm a lot. I think I'm still catching up on REM from the past week of traveling. After I watched an episode of House I went out exploring the neighborhood. I found the Tesco, which is like a grocery store and the dollar store that Margret showed me last night. I bought a few things that will help me settle in better. I got a bowl, a fork, knife and spoon, two tupperware, pens, a pad of paper, envelopes, a small food scale, a plate, a mug and a glass, a pan and some tacks. £23. Stuff is expensive here, even at the dollar store! It's that damn VAT. Homemade sandwiches and soups and hopefully I can not be completely broke! I still need to buy a soft blanket, a proper pillow, a laundry bag, and a UK cell phone charger. I've got orientation soon though so I'm not sure if I'll have time before I have to meet at the Tube station.

No comments: